Hello my darlings! I finally got around to sorting through and editing all our photos from our trip to Vienna, Austria. I cannot believe it’s May already aka my birthday month! There are so many travels to come in the next few months and I am so excited to share our adventures with you.
It’s no secret that I’m completely in love with Vienna for its breathtaking architecture but it really is one of the most charming cities I’ve ever been to. There’s something enchanting about the turquoise domes and the white sandstone buildings embellished in gold. The ambiance is madly romantic and the perfect city to get lost in. There is so much beauty and rich history around every corner. While wandering the streets you may find yourself in what feels like another century. Make sure you wear comfortable footwear because most streets are cobblestone. As for the night life goes in Vienna, I must say if you’re a non-smoker you might not like the typical bar scene. I’m not sure why but smoking is allowed in almost every bar.
Story time: One night we went out to the bars and it was pouring rain. We dodged the rain all night long stopping into many bars for “one” drink and just before we were about to go home, we got hungry. Of all the places in Vienna, we ended up in this very elegant restaurant. Trying to act normal, we walk in (soaking wet from head to toe) and decide to sit at their teeny, tiny bar because the restaurant was full. What do you order after a night of drinking? Chocolate cake. So we ordered two traditional Viennese chocolate cakes. We ate them both in a matter of minutes while singing to the music that was softly playing in the background. All of a sudden, the song “You Lift Me Up” by Josh Grobin started playing and well… just imagine us singing very loudly with chocolate all over our faces, waving our spoons like lighters at a concert. Everyone was staring and we almost fell off our barstools laughing. So many laughs. Best night ever.
Unfortunately, our days were numbered in this magical city. We spent a total of 3 days exploring Vienna and during that time I created My Vienna Bucket List. Loaded with everything you should see and do the first time you visit Vienna. I would love to revisit Vienna during the Christmas season because they have the most beautiful Christmas markets.
My Vienna Bucket List
- Explore the Schönbrunn Palace and walk through the imperial gardens up to the Gloriette. Schönbrunn is the former summer residence of Austrian’s imperial family and is one of Europe’s most impressive Baroque palaces. Get lost in the Maze and if time permits, visit the Tiergarten—the world’s oldest zoo founded in the 18th century. You could really spend an entire day visiting Schönbrunn because there is so much to see!
- Visit the Hofburg and take ride through Vienna on a horse-drawn carriage.
- Watch a show at The Spanish Horse Riding School.
- Enjoy a coffee and order the Kaiserschmarrn cake at Cafe Central. It was my favorite traditional Viennese coffeehouse and had the most beautiful interiors.
- Visit St. Stephen’s Cathedral and watch the sunset from the roof.
- Enjoy a Sachertorte at Cafe Dommayer.
- Attend a traditional Viennese Ball and dance the night away.
- Visit the Vienna State Opera.
- Wander the Austrian National Library. The most beautiful library I have ever seen.
- Sit on the steps across from Karlskirche and enjoy the view.
- Explore the Belvedere Palace.
- Visit the Winter Palace of Prince Eugene.
- Visit the Albertina Museum and enjoy a fantastic view from the Albertina Platz to the Vienna Opera.
- Enjoy a drink at the Sofitel, one of the best rooftop bars in Vienna.
Austrian National Library
St. Stephen’s Cathedral
Winter Palace of Prince Eugene
Vienna State Opera
Flower markets in the city centre
Thank you so much for visiting and I hope my bucket list was helpful to those of you planning a trip to Vienna!